Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Soup, again.


Those of you who have been our devoted readers since last winter may remember my post about the soup dilemma at our home, also known as "Josh wants to chew food and not drink it, but soup courses through Launi's circulatory system and enlivens her very being." I just wanted you to know that we've had another winner....a soup that Josh even admitted was soooo good and which forced me against my will to consume three bowlfuls, much to the chagrin of my still-looks-pregnant belly. Therefore, I'm going to provide you with the recipe in case you have a jones for a creamy, spicy meal to warm you up on these chilly autumn evenings!

Chicken Enchilada Soup

(Disclaimer: this recipe has lots of "use this or that" in it. I've made it several times, and basically just use whatever I happen to have on hand, and it all works equally well.)

~2-3 chicken breasts
~2 c. chicken broth (thanks, Marseille, for letting me borrow your bouillon!)
~1 can enchilada sauce
~1 t. chili powder
~1 t. taco seasoning (or if you don't have this on hand, throw in a little cumin, garlic, oregano, and salt and call it good)
~1 T dried minced onion or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
~1 c. cheddar or jack cheese
~1 c. sour cream or half-and-half
~1 can corn, drained
~1 small can diced green chilies
~1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional...Josh doesn't care for them so I usually do without)
~tortilla chips

Cook chicken in medium saucepan and shred. Add broth, enchilada sauce, onions, chilies, and spices. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the onion rehydrates/cooks down. Stir in cheese and sour cream/half-and-half until melted and incorporated. Add corn (and beans if you're using them) and warm through. Serve with tortilla chips (I usually like to crush them in the bottom of the bowl before putting in my soup, while Josh likes to use them to scoop it up. Whatever your preference.) Eat it. Say, "Dang, that's some good soup!" and then think of me kindly.

Thanks for putting up with me and my soup obsession and my love of cooking and my random babblings. I love you all. :)

14 comments:

SarahC said...

This sounds fantastic & I happen to have all of these ingredients! I am going to try it & I will let you know how it goes! (But I am sure we will all love it!)

SarahC said...

P.S. loved the link to the Home Star Runner cartoon. They are the greatest!

Crystal said...

Sounds yummy! I have a couple of good soups that you can "chew" if you ever want to try them.

Emily said...

Mmmmm...I can't wait to try it!

Sarah Ball said...

Hey! I'm sad I didn't get your other message on my blog until we were home! But we will have to get together next time I am up that way! Soup sounds so good.. I might just have to try that recipe!

Anonymous said...

It's starting to feel like soup weather. I'll definitely try this one. Loving soup must run in your family. Darin lists it as his favorite meal. I'm looking forward to Deer Hunt Weekend. We will be having soup for sure.

SarahC said...

Hey, it's just me again, 3 of your 6 comments. I tried the recipe for Sunday dinner, it was fantastic! Seriously, my husband loved it, I loved it, Zander wouldn't touch it but I'm sure he would have loved it if I could have gotten him to try it. I did add a Tbls. of flour at the end because it was a little too thin & I put a dollop of guacamole on the top of mine because I am a guac fanatic. But it was a definite winner! Thanks again!

Launi said...

thanks for letting me know how it went, sarah! i'm glad you guys liked it! and i'm glad you make it look like i'm popular by commenting a lot! ;)

Jenny said...

Ok, I'm trying it out this week. Don't fail me Launi...this better be good;)

Lori said...

Hey josh, this is Aaron and Lori Miller. How are you guys? We have a blog as well. We have two girls and we live in P.G. now. So we should hang out some time.

Lori said...

Hey josh, this is Aaron and Lori Miller. How are you guys? We have a blog as well. We have two girls and we live in P.G. now. So we should hang out some time.

Julie said...

Tried it. Love, love, loved it. To bad I had to eat it alone...or maybe thats not too bad...

Jenny said...

Launi, you didn't let me down. That soup was sooo good! Marcus really liked it to. He informed me that I could make it again:) And he took some left overs for lunch today. sooooo good.

Clark said...

Ah, man, if I could even find half these ingredients, I'd love to make this.