Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Adventures

Well, the last few months have been pretty busy as we get settled in to our new home. But we are loving [almost] every minute of it. :) Alex loves living in a quiet neighborhood with lots of other little kids instead of on a busy street where I'm afraid to let him go outside, and he has the suntan to prove it!

We are loving Springville and had fun with the recent Art City Days festival. Alex thought the carnival was the bees' knees. I thought it was a dirty, crowded, overpriced mess, but they had funnel cakes and that's all that really matters. :)



One thing that has been occupying a lot of my time is our yard. The people who lived here before us were very into gardening, and so we inherited a lot of wonderful plants and a big garden patch. However, that means you actually have to take care of it all. Huh. Coming here with absolutely zero gardening experience has made that interesting, but we're learning as we go.

I planted some seeds and small starts in the veggie patch, and then we had that big rainy spell right after so I didn't bother watering them, figuring they were getting enough from the rainfall. Wrong! Thus, much of what I planted has died off, but other things are coming along alright and we're keeping our fingers crossed hoping that some of them might actually produce. Hopefully in another month or so we will have at least a few tomatoes, zucchini, onions, bell peppers, green beans, and corn. Enough that I don't have to feel like a total gardening idiot anyway. :) I'm also looking into square foot gardening next year to cut back on the weeding, since it seems as if that's all I'm ever doing!

We also have a large raspberry patch and a strawberry patch that are coming along nicely. We've already harvested a few tiny strawberries, and man, were they sweet! There were tulips and buttercups out front in the spring (what on earth do I do with those empty patches now? Anyone? Anyone?), and we have some lovely lilacs and roses. Even though they were very little effort on my part, I'm still pretty proud of them. Here are some of the beauties that have blossomed this last week.




Okay, gardening spiel over. And here are a couple more pictures of the little men who make my life wonderful, or as Alex calls them, "Army Guy and Super Hero Man!"


4 comments:

Angie said...

okay 1: good job on the gardening! I'm impressed
2: seeing roses from your garden makes me think of grandma larsen's roses that i loved so much in front of her old house
3: love your little protectors. You should feel save with those two around!

Laura said...

Lovely post! We thought about going to Art City days and ended up being too busy that weekend with our yard work (I think we were finally getting the grass!). Funnel cakes were missed much! I LOVE them!
What beautiful roses! I want to plant some in our yard, right out between teh sidewalk and the road. Your beautiful pictures of your roses inspire me to go buy some roses!
And, we need to get together with our kids! The boys would have so much fun, being super-heroes and all!

Alan said...

I bet your garden and yard are coming along nicely. I love your super heros!

Crystal

Rob and Marseille said...

seeing things pop up over the house that you don't know are there are fun! (like, I'm sure you didn't know the roses would be those awesome colors!)