Hello, friends! I am going to unashamedly solicit your help for a minute! This year for Christmas, my parents gave us a trip back East with them. Josh served his mission in Connecticut and we've always wanted to go back there. Plus, though we've both been to New York state, neither of us has ever visited NYC itself! So we're pretty stoked. :) Here's where you come in.
I know several of my friends have lived in that area or have visited it, and I would love to hear what you think are the must-see places. And the must-eat places, of course! We will be visiting New York City, Hartford, Newport, and Boston, and will basically have only about a day in each place. I know that's not near enough time, but it's what we have. :) Also, we will be there in the middle of May, so spring-ish weather.
Please keep in mind that, of the four people on this trip, one will be a pregnant woman and two will be senior citizens, so that might limit us a little bit. :) We will NOT have the kids with us, however, and we will have a rental car to help us get around.
Just FYI, we are already for sure planning to visit Times Square, Ground Zero, and see a show on Broadway in NYC, and we will be going to Fenway Park for a Red Sox game in Boston. So if those were on your list, move on to the rest.
Ok, go! :) (And thanks!)
Rainy Day Chili
15 years ago
15 comments:
As for Boston do not try to do the whole freedom walk I did 2/3 of it and it put me into labor my favorite was the cemetery and it's is towards the beginning so you can do maybe the first little bit. You can usually find street parking which is cheaper but you have to refill meter every 2 hours. Children's museum is fun but my favorite is just to hang out in the public gardens take a right on the duck boats and play in the frog pond if it's warm the kids love it.
NYC- when we were there there wasn't anything to see at ground zero I didn't think it was worth the walk to see a construction sight. We like to eat at shake shack and get pizza at grimaldi's they are really nice there. My favorite is just walking around central park addi likes to give quarters to the street performers there is usually someone doing giant bubbles. We like riding the caurosal and feeding the baby ducks. Go to fail Schwartz and let the kids play on the giant piano. Be prepared to walk a lot wear good shoes do not try to drive around NYC you will regret it there is a parking lot just down from the temple 62nd and west end highway I think that is cheapest about $15 it says welcome LDS members if u aren't staying in city it is best to drive straight to parking then walk or take subway. If you are staying there I prefer staying between time square and central park.
Hartford-I lived here but have less to say about it. We spent most of our adventures outside of CT. We like ocean beach about an hour south. Your husband may have plans for Hartford since he served there. We did ride the train and steam boat at Essex train station that was fun. Have Tons of fun and call me if you want to know anything else too bad we don't live there anymore.
Newport- I did part of the cliff walk while 35 weeks pregnant and was fine. The big houses our cool. I love providence and if you are there on a weekend that has the fire water it is worth seeing ( fire dancers on the river).
I've spent time in NYC and in Boston, but not much in either place. In Boston, we did the Freedom walk, and I think it was very fun (a long walk, as mentioned). The USS Constitution was a highlight, as was Paul Revere's house. In NYC, I'd say seeing Wicked on Broadway was the best part. We also went to Liberty & Ellis Island, which were fun.
I didn't have a car in either place, so I can't comment on the driving situation or anything that's not in walking distance. Still, Boston was one of the best trips I've ever been on.
Did I miss something? Was there an announcement in there? (Or did I miss the announcement earlier?) I'm assuming the 2 senior citizens would be your parents since you said they were going. Pretty sure Josh isn't the pregnant one. Congratulations!
My sister lived in Boston for 2 years. Can I have her email you with ideas? Have fun on your trip!
thanks, everyone! getting lots of good ideas! and yes, bont, i am pregnant. i guess i announced it on facebook thinking more people check that than my blog, but i don't think you're on there! :) and i would love to have an email from your sister. do you still have my address or would i need to get it to you?
I actually have a few really great (and in-depth) emails to send to you about Boston. It would definitely fill more than a day, but would give you plenty to pick and choose from to tailor to your needs/desires. I'll send them off in a sec...
Congrats! We actually recently did a one day trip to NYC, and one of the best tips is to skip the ferry tour of the statue of liberty, and just to take the free ferry from NYC to Staten Island. First, it's free, second, it takes you right past the statue and lets you get great views and pictures. Also, after walking a ton, it's a nice little break.
http://www.siferry.com/
Of those I've only been to NY, and I would definitely recommend the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Both are easily accessible for senior citizens and pregnant people. :D And of course, the Empire State Building is awesome.
my favorites...well for food, go to the shake shack in madison square park in nyc. you might wait an hour for a burger, but it is a beautiful place, the kids can play in the park, and the burgers are amazing. be sure to get their secret sauce. the american museum of natural history is free. your kids will love it! they have "suggested donation fees" but you can actually get in for free or just give what you want. we gave like $5 dollars a person. all the locals told us to do that. it's much more affordable than the $20 suggested fee. the park is gorgeous and they have some fantastic playgrounds for the kids.
boston, if you have time go to harvard square and go to bartley's burgers. now those are actually the best burgers i've had in my entire life. you have to have cash in nyc and boston though, so be sure to carry cash or be prepared to pay high atm fees.
if you have time take a duck tour in boston. the pick up in by the science museum. you ride on this crazy big bus/jeep thing around the city, see all the cool sites, and then the bus goes into the charles river and becomes a boat (the reason it's called a "duck") and takes you up the charles river. it's expensive but worth it. you have to make reservations ahead of time though. on friday nights the boston children's museum is only $1 a person. that is an incredible children's museum!
the frog pond, in the boston common, is fun, especially in the summer - take swim suits and towels for your kids to get in. go to faneuil hall. it is quite an experience. the street performers there are fantastic. plus you're pretty close to walk over and take a look at the water front. the walk from the frog pond/boston common along the freedom trail to faneuil hall is not that far or that hard - did it when i was pregnant - and you see some of the main sites. plus you can always hop on the T (their subway) to get back. be prepared to carry your stroller up and down stairs though because most stops do not have elevators. i would suggest taking a ride on the boston subway for the experience over the nyc subway. the T is much nicer and cleaner than the nyc subway. the kids have a lot of fun on the "train". i did not think the walk over to "ironsides" was worth it. it was FAR away and long lines, and for me it not that amazing to see. my kids were really bored. if you like pastries, take a stop at mike's pastry in the italian district. there is no line even though it looks like there is one, so just shove your way to the front, make your voice is heard, and be sure to have cash. the paul revere mall and the old north church are cool places to see in boston too.
man i thought i would only suggest a few things but then i got going. it's making me homesick for the east coast.
i know you'll have a blast whatever you do. just have fun. that's what matters most.
Hello!! Come and see me!! Just kidding, I'm about an hours drive from NYC. We have been to the city plenty and still have tons we want to go and do there. I would personally skip the statue of liberty, it takes a lot of time to do and right now you can't go up the statue because they are renovating it so really you can take the Staten Island ferry and see it pretty well. Unless you really want to go to Ellis Island which is pretty cool than you should go. At Ground Zero they now have the memorial up and I am actually going there this week hopefully so I will let you know what its like. Be sure you get your tickets for it though but they are free. Walking around Central Park is a lot of fun and I have heard renting boats to take out on the lake there is fun. Also Rockefeller Center, walking down 5th Ave., Macy's on 34th Street (which is right across from the Empire State Building). You will get Times Square when you go to Broadway so you don't have to plan time for both. Things I haven't done but want to are the Empire State Building but it does cost a lot of money for us poor folks. I also want to go to FAO Schwartz. And there is the Intrepid which seems really cool but also cost a lot of money (are you seeing a trend here). If you want the cheapest way to get into the city/parking let me know, I have done several different ways. Driving in the city is crazy and should not be attempted. Definitely park and walk/ride the subway. For Boston, I haven't been but can tell you what I want to do when we do go. The USS Constitution looks really cool and is free! I think it would be cool to go out to Plymouth Rock which isn't too far from Boston. And of course Fenway Park which you already said you are doing. I can't think of anything else right now but if I do I will let you know. Hopefully this all makes sense to you I just typed what came out of my brain!
Sorry I don't have many suggestions, but I did want to tell you that my step-mother and her family are from Hartford! I'll talk with her about what she'd recommend doing and let you know! :)
You won't have time for all of the AMAZING food in NYC, but you should FOR SURE check out at least one of the following:
LeVain bakery. Best. Cookie. Ever.
S'mac - Mac & Cheese restaurant. So delish
PB & Co. - PB&J restaurant
Jane - creme brulee French Toast
I'm Bont's sister. If I had a day in Boston, and I were going to a Red Sox game, I would take a Duck Tour in the morning and go from there to Boston's North End. I would see Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church, and while walking between the two, I would pick any Italian restaurant I saw that looked good and go in for lunch. (I have done that many times and I've never been disappointed.) I would grab some dessert at Mike's Pastry (also in the North End), and then if I had time before the game, I would spend it at Boston Common and the Public Garden (across the street from each other), where I would ride the swan boats.
If I had a second day in Boston, I would spend it at Harvard's campus, and eating burgers at Bartley's, ice cream at Lizzie's (try the mint Oreo), and iced hot chocolate at Burdick's (all within a block or less of Harvard).
(This comment is making me hungry.)
Post a Comment