Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dough Boy

I've been on a baking kick lately, and I like to let Alex sit at the table so he can see what is going on. I give him spice jars, measuring cups, etc, to keep him busy. The other day as I was making cheese puffs (which did not turn out at all, by the way), I noticed that Alex was using a small measuring spoon to scoop flour into his mouth. When he saw that I was watching, he gave me a big smile and said "Mmmmm!" I laughed so hard! I can't imagine that it actually tasted good, but he was sure having a fun time!


The next day (to make up for the failed cheese puffs), I made some chocolate chip cookies. I accidentally spilled a large amount of sugar on the table near Alex, but I didn't want to worry about cleaning it up right away. Of course, he quickly discovered that if he stuck a wet finger in the sugar it would stick and he could easily transport it to his mouth. He was all over that! :)


We've also found that Alex is absolutely terrified of my hand mixer. If I so much as put a finger on it, not even turning it on, he freaks out. He screams and turns red and his hands literally shake, poor thing! This really surprised me, because he's never been scared of the vacuum or my hair dryer or any other loud machine. Hmmm...

And this is what happens when you let Alex use a spoon to feed himself his oatmeal.


He's having a good time. That's what's important, right? ;)

It's so fun for me to watch Alex make discoveries and learn new things. I love my little boy!

Oh, and speaking of baking, I suppose I'll finally get around to posting a picture of the birthday cake I made for Alex. He thought it was fun to play with but wasn't too interested in eating it. :)

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

kids and messes go hand in hand I'm afraid. I love the oatmeal picture. Also, very cute frog cake!

Amelia said...

CUTE CAKE!

Rob and Marseille said...

Cute cake!! Christopher likes eating flour too.

Crystal said...

Cute cake...Happy Birthday Alex! My kids are both scared to death of the vacuum cleaner. It is sad but sometimes funny.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maryirene said...

it's darling! you are so creative launie. he is still such a doll!!!

kim and ned said...

You are such a good mom to let Alex experience things, and not get all worked up about a little mess. Alex is a very lucky boy!

~*Jen*~ said...

He's getting so big! And I love the cake! Katelyn saw it and said "Hey, it's a frog! Ribbit!" LOL